Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Bobby Darin


He was born Walden Robert Cassotto on May 14, 1936 in The Bronx, New York. Bobby Darin catapulted to fame with his very first record, Splish Splash, shooting to #3 and attaining Gold status. Not a bad start!!

Throughout his career, Bobby had 41 singles on the Billboard chart, including 4 Gold Records and 9 Top Ten songs. In 1963 he was nominated for an Academy Award for his role in the movie Captain Newman, MD.

This multi-talented vocalist/pianist/songwriter/entertainer could have continued on for many many years with much success; sadly he died of heart failure at age 37 on December 20, 1973. I vividly recall that night as I was working at CFCF Radio in Montreal at the time and reading the bulletin from the newswire. Later that night I did a one hour tribute to Bobby Darin on my show.

This week on Voice Your Choice we once again spotlight two songs for you to choose from, both signature tunes for Bobby: Beyond The Sea OR Mack The Knife.

Come to Treasure Island Oldies and click on the Voice Your Choice button. Then make your selection (albeit a difficult one this week). I will play the winning song in Hour 3 on this week's show.

I bet this is going to be a VERY close race!

My thanks to the official Bobby Darin website for the picture.