Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Happy Birthday Paul Evans


Paul Evans is a very acknowledged and successful songwriter and recording artist. He has hit the charts many times including the Top 10 hits, Seven Little Girls Sitting In The Back Seat and Happy Go Lucky Me, plus Midnite Special, The Brigade Of Broken Hearts, After The Hurricane, plus Hushabye, Little Guitar, and other well known 45s.

Bobby Vinton's recording career might not have taken off were it not for Paul Evans and the beautiful song he wrote, "Roses Are Red (My Love)", which went all the way to Number 1 and became a Gold record. Paul also wrote many other hit songs including "Happiness Is", originally a Cleo award-winning commercial jingle for Kent Cigarettes, then becoming a hit for the Ray Conniff Singers. Elvis Presley recorded "I Gotta Know", a Top 20 hit itself and coupled on the 45 with "Are You Lonesome Tonight". Many other artists have recorded songs written or co-written by Paul Evans including Lulu, LaVerne Baker, Cliff Richard, Johnny Tillitson, Count Basie Orchestra, Pat Boone, The Coasters, Skeeter Davis, and so many others.

This past Sunday, March 5th, Paul Evans celebrated his 68th birthday and I sent him birthday greetings. He wrote back:

Hey Michael. Nice to hear from you and - thanks for the birthday wishes. Took a quick look at your site and I must say that I'm proud to see my quote right there. And of course you know, Michael, that I meant what I said. Best wishes with your many endeavors.

I will definitely be calling you one of these Sundays.

Thanks for asking, Paul.

Visit Paul's website.