Monday, August 09, 2010

This Week On Treasure Island Oldies

August 8th, 2010 to August 14th, 2010

I am still getting comments on our Annual Instrumental Gems Wordless Wonders Special from two weeks ago; thank you very much. I've also still been receiving requests for several instrumental songs that I did not play on the special. I will play as many as possible as soon as possible. I know that Scott in Phenix City, Alabama was really happy to hear Satin Soul by the Love Unlimited Orchestra. That was the follow-up to the classic Love's Theme, and one hardly played anymore. I love playing these Lost Treasures, not obscure records by someone you never heard of, but artists that had major hits but that never get played anymore. Somewhere along the line, consultants convinced radio programmers that listeners only wanted to hear the biggest hits of an artist or group, and perhaps even suggesting that listeners couldn't remember anything else. I say utter nonsense. Please, people have memories, not just their Top Ten memories. Tons of things, places, events, people, etc. come back to you from time to time. I love playing songs that bring back those great memories for you. And judging from your feedback, the songs I play do just that for you. Thanks for letting me know.

It was 35 years ago this week that the radio station I most enjoyed working at, CFOM in Quebec City, went off the air. Guylaine Cote had been a regular listener to CFOM as a very young girl and after many years, she discovered I am still around and listens to my show today. You could say she has been listening to me for longer than anyone else, at least over a long period of time. I was pleased to play a few songs on this week's show that I used to play when I was a DJ and Music Director at the station. CFOM may be gone, but the memory of that station will go on forever for many people.

I really like wishing listeners a Happy Birthday on the show; so if you are having a birthday coming up, be sure to let me know. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandOldies.com and I'll play our official birthday song for you, Birthday by The Beatles.

Speaking of the Fab Four, the Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing The Beatles, live at Shea Stadium with Twist And Shout. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice features Miss Toni Fisher with two great songs: The Big Hurt and West Of The Wall. Which song would you like me to play? Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page and I'll play the winning song in the 3rd hour of next week's show.
There's only a couple of weeks before the Reunion of Petaluma High School Class of 1974. The 36 Year Reunion of this Petaluma, California high school is taking place the weekend of August 20th. Better hurry for information. Contact Diane at PetalumaHigh1974@gmail.com. And if your Alma Mater is planning a Reunion, be sure to let me know and I'll pass the information on to you on the show and on the website too. Send the details to reunion@treasureislandoldies.com.

I am so pleased with the number of people who enjoy the Rock & Roll News Podcast every week. You can download it at the iTunes Store by searching for Treasure Island Oldies Rock & Roll News Podcast. There have been over 11,000 downloads of this popular Podcast in the past 30 days! Thank you. You can also enjoy the Top 5 Countdown. While not available for download, you can listen to it at any time on the Listen page.
The Listener Gallery has is ready to hang your photos. Send in your picture, name, city and province or state to michael@treasureislandoldies.com and our webmaster, Eddy Fisher, will post it on the Listener Gallery page.

I hope you have a great week and see you next Sunday for the live show.

Bye for now.

Michael