Monday, April 11, 2011

This Week On Treasure Island Oldies

April 10th, 2011 to April 16th, 2011

If you did not manage to hear the live show this week, be sure to listen to the Archive. You won't want to miss our Annual One Hit Wonders Special. It's amazing how so many great artists and groups could not get another hit after their initial success on the charts. And in a way it is not surprising that there were so many One Hit Wonders. There are probably more one hit wonders than there artists that found repeat success on the charts. One way or the other, it was a pleasure to play so many great songs for you on this week's show. And be sure to listen next week when Tom Locke, the creator and writer of our weekly feature, Moment In Time, will join me in the studio as we will be featuring hit records during the show that did not include the title of the song in the lyrics. Here's a few examples to give you a good idea of what you'll hear: A Lover's Concerto by The Toys, Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers, White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane, and many more. I'm looking forward to this Great Lyrics - Title Not Included mini-special!

The tech staff at our network have been working on our Real Media feed. We'll be testing it and if all is ok, then we will reinstate the Live stream. Our Windows Media stream continues to work great with no issues. The Archive Real Media stream is also working fine, along with our 24/7 Windows Media feed. Thanks for your patience while they do their best to get the Live Real feed working again.

More folks have begun following me on Facebook again this week including Rich Dodson from The Stampeders, long time listener Joel Drucker, Joanne O'Neill, Johnny Rand, and long time listener Nancy Turnbull and many others. Please join me on Facebook; just click the link on any page of the website. It was also nice to see Nancy come by the Chat Room for a visit during this week's live show Sunday night. You too are very welcome. Click Chat on the Menu and follow the directions.

More comments this week at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog. Another person has submitted a comment as a follow-up to the post about the death of singer Kenny Dino. "My uncle recently passed away and I was thinking about visiting him and my aunt in Hicksville. I brought my 45 record along with me and my aunt said, do you know that Kenny lives right behind us? (my aunt lived on Winding Rd. and their backyards touched one another. So I walked around the corner to see if I could get a glimpse of him. His mom answered the door and although he wasn't home she gave me all sorts of Kenny Dino swag. I thought I was in R&R heaven. Later on there was a ruckus coming from the backyards and I peeked over the fence and there was Kenny fighting with someone who I think might have been his brother. Well, that made him even cooler in my eyes. Not long ago on David Letterman, Paul and the band played a song and sure enough they were playing Your Ma Said You Cried in Your Sleep Last Night. ah memories." And Simon Crum also commented about the Ferlin Husky post, "RIP Ferlin aka Simon Crum. I have one of your 45s (Drinkin' Man) on my wall at home. Wish I knew why you chose my real name as your pseudonym. Thanks for the music." Thanks very much for the great comments. Anytime you read something at the Blog that inspires you to respond, please do so. I look forward to hearing from you.

If you have a birthday coming up, I'd like to help celebrate it with all the Treasure Island Oldies listeners. Send the details of your birthday to birthdays@treasureisdlandoldies.com. I'll then wish you Happy Birthday on the show and also play our official birthday song for you, Birthday by The Beatles.

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing When I Die by Motherlode, a great One Hit Wonder. I just love this song and I know you will find it a treat seeing this rare video. It's our One Hit Wonder Song of the Week. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice spotlights Canada's folk poet, Gordon Lightfoot, with two of his many hit songs for your votes: If You Could Read My Mind and Sundown. Which song would you like to hear? Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page. We'll play the winning song in the 3rd hour of next week's show.

It brings me back to the transistor radio era all over again! I'm having a blast showing friends and colleagues how cool it is to be able to listen to the show via a smartphone, and in my case my iPhone. If you own a smartphone, this is for you. You  can now listen to the live show Sunday nights as well as the Treasure Island Oldies 24/7 Stream on your smartphone (Android,  iPhone or  Windows). WunderRadio is the app you need to buy; and reasonably priced at only $6.99. You can get the app at WunderRadio.com. Here's the link for the live stream: http://meta.insinc.com/treasure/treasure.asx. And this is the link for the 24/7 Stream: http://treasureislandoldies.com/ContinuousTIO_2.asx.

Let the world know you're a proud listener of Treasure Island Oldies. Send in your name, photo, city and province or state for the Listener Gallery to michael@treasureislandoldies.com and our Webmaster, Eddy Fisher, will post it on the Listener Gallery page along with the many already received.

You can also let all your friends know you enjoy the show with your personal Treasure Island Oldies Email Signature. A selection of complimentary signatures to be placed at the end of your outgoing emails is available for download. Click Goodies on the upper menu on any page on the website. Thanks to the many folks that have downloaded their own copy of the Email Signature. That's great!

I hope you have a great week and see you next Sunday for the live show.

Bye for now.

Michael