Monday, July 02, 2012

Gino Vannelli - Song Of The Week


The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing Gino Vannelli. I first got to know Gino, who like me is from Montreal, when I worked at CFCF Radio. I got to know him and his brothers Joe and Ross. When he released his second album Powerful People, I heard a song on the album called People Gotta Move. I added the song to the playlist at CFCF as if it were an actual single. The response was so good and the demand for it as a 45 at the record stores was such that A&M Records released it as a single and it became a Top Twenty hit in Canada and the United States. 

I was presented with a Gold Record by A&M, my first ever award. I'm looking at it on my wall as I type this Blog post. The inscription reads: "In appreciation  for making people move to People Gotta Move by Gino Vannelli. August 1974"

Ironically a year later, I ended up working at A&M Records for nearly 11 years and became Vice-President of the Artist & Repertoire department.This week in keeping with our Made In Canada Special, we're playing my friend Gino Vannelli and People Gotta Move, in a live concert performance. It's our Song Of The Week. Enjoy!