Monday, September 03, 2012

This Week On Treasure Island Oldies - September 2nd to 8th, 2012


September 2nd, 2012 to September 8th, 2012

I hope you enjoyed our salute to work, school and summer on our Annual Labour Day Back To School End Of Summer Special. Playing all those work songs got me exhausted! LOL It always surprises just how many songs fit into a specific theme. And getting all three themes together for this week's show was a blast. I'd like to thank you for the many requests I received. I always do my best to play them for you. In case you missed the Live show, be sure to check out the Archives on the Listen Page.

Our sincere condolences go out to my friend, long time listener and weekly contributor to the show, Rick Canode, whose dad passed away last Friday at age 92. Wayne Canode had just reached his 70th Wedding Anniversary but was in very poor health. Rick, my thoughts are with you and your family.

I'd like to wish Connie "Kitten" Howe in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania a very Happy Birthday. If you've got a birthday coming up, send the details of your name, city and birthday date to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I'd sure like to help celebrate your birthday too, by wishing you Happy Birthday on the show and also by playing Birthday by The Beatles.

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is keeping with our show theme this week and is playing a clip from the 1968 TV Special, The Beat Of The Brass. Here's Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass and The Work Song. It's our Song Of The Week. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice presents Vanity Fare, a group from England. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Early In The Morning or Hitchin'A Ride. I'll play the winner in the 3rd hour of next week's show.

Here is this week's Rock & Roll News for the Week of September 2nd, 2012


And here's the Top 5 Countdown from this week in 1966.  


I'm pleased that I continue to hear from listeners who are enjoying the show on their mobile smartphone. You can too. All you need is the Tune In Radio app. You can listen to the Latest Show, the Rock & Roll News Podcasts, and the Live Show as well. Just be sure that to do a search for Treasure Island Oldies. Get more out of your iPhone or other smartphone with the Tune In Radio app, available at the iTunes Store.

Show the world you're a proud Islander! Send your photo and we'll post it to the Treasure Island Oldies Listener Gallery. Send it to listenergallery@treasureislandoldies.com

Hope you have a great week. See you on next week's show.

Bye for now.

Michael