Monday, August 26, 2013

This Week On Treasure Island Oldies - Week Of August 26th, 2013


August 25th, 2013 to August 31st, 2013

It sure was an action packed show this week, with yet again many requests. And the Chat Room welcomed Ineyda Velasquez, from Homestead, Florida, for the first time. She discovered the show last fall while listening to Team-FM in the UK, one of the  Treasure Island Oldies Broadcast Partners Network stations. It was great to have her stop by for her first visit and she was warmly welcomed by the other regulars. I think she is now officially a Nut in the Hut. I invite you to increase your enjoyment of the show by coming to the Chat Room during the Live show every Sunday beginning at 6 pm Pacific time. Click Chat on any page of the website for more information and easy to follow instructions.

Join me next week for our annual Labour Day Back To School End Of Summer Special. There'll be lots of work related songs, school tunes and the last chance this year to hear some of the greatest summer hits of all time. I look forward to keeping you company with this fun special.

Earlier in the week I was in touch via Facebook with Danny Marks, a great guitarist who hosted a CBC Radio program and currently the host of a blues show in JAZZ.FM91 in Toronto. Danny was a founding member of Edward Bear (You Me And Mexico, The Last Song, etc.). He eventually became the guitarist for Malcolm Tomlinson, the first recording artist I ever signed with A&M Records. We did two albums with Malcolm: Coming Outta Nowhere and Rock & Roll Hermit. The latter album was produced by John Anthony, who worked with Ace (How Long Has This Been Going On), Queen, Genesis, Roxy Music and many others. Malcolm's debut album was produced by Jack Richardson (The Guess Who, Bob Seger, and many others). The album also featured some legendary sidemen: Papa John Creach on fiddle, plus the great Brecker Brothers, Randy and Michael on horns. Danny and I exchanged several posts on Facebook, which gave me the idea of playing Malcolm on my show and to let you hear my first artist discovery. It was a treat for me to hear Knockin' My Head for the first time in many years. I'll always be proud of signing Malcolm Tomlinson. I hope you enjoyed hearing him on the show. If you missed it, you can hear the Archive at the Listen page.

Happy Birthday wishes go out to my good friend Fay Greenwood, in Langley, British Columbia. You'll recall Fay presented the weekly feature Hits From Across The Pond on the show. Happy Birthday also to Don Graham in Toronto, Ontario, Alexander Van Engelen in Long Island, New York, long time colleague Lee Smith (who went by J. Lee Smith at CKGM in Montreal) in Saskatchewan, and finally to Carl Fiset in Quebec City, Quebec. If you have a birthday coming up, I invite you to let me know so that I can wish you Happy Birthday on the show and play Birthday by The Beatles for you. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com.

This week at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog, I thought I'd feature the song that started off this week's show. I know you'll enjoy The Yardbirds with Over Under Sideways Down. It's our Song Of The Week.

Voice Your Choice keeps up the pace with next week's show, the annual Labour Day Back To School End Of Summer Special, by spotlighting the late great Billy Stewart with two of his great summer hits. Cast your vote for either Sitting In The Park or Summertime. I'll play the winning tune in the 3rd hour of next week's show.

Here's the Rock And Roll News for the week of August 25th





Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1962




See you next week.

Bye for now.



Michael