Monday, July 28, 2014

This week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of July 27th, 2014


July 27th, 2014 to August 2nd, 2014


What a thrill it was to receive a phone call from Dave Boxer! Now if you’re not from Montreal, you may not be familiar with him. Dave Boxer was a top DJ at CFCF Radio 600. He had a tremendous following and was way ahead of his time. He even “connected” people and got them chatting together. And this was in the 1960s. He did it in a novel way. Back then there was no digital switching for phone company telephone lines; it was all mechanical. So if everyone dialed the same number at the very same time, there could be several lines all were switched onto the same phone number together and you’d be connected with each other. So you can imagine how he influenced me to become a DJ myself. And amazingly, my first on air position was at  CFCF myself. I was music director but wanted to get on the air so the Program Director, Jim Kidd, who I heard from this week via email for the first time in decades, put me on the air weekends. Back to Dave… Dave not only recorded a very nice phone message on the Listener Line, he then came into the Chat Room and remained for the remainder of the show, chatting away like an old friend with everyone. I affectionately borrowed Dave Boxer’s saying, Nut in the Hut, as that’s how he referred to himself when he would do his show on remote from some location like a drive-in restaurant,  inside a little hut hoisted up by a crane. Today I refer to the Chat Room Regulars as the Nuts in the Hut. A big thank you to Frank Vandeven, my lifelong friend since I was 19 and former producer/operator for the Dave Boxer Show. He and I were talking and he invited Dave to stop by the show; and he was also in the chat room for the entire show. So without taking up the ENTIRE Internet with my surprise and elation to have Dave Boxer visit the show, suffice it to say I am truly honoured. He was very flattering by saying he is going to tell everyone about the show, they MUST listen. Thank you, Dave, and I very much look forward to getting together with you soon for a great Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich and a Mrs. Whyte’s kosher dill pickle. Mmm Just like home in Montreal back when.

Phew! Next week on the show, Live Sunday, August 3rd, join me for what has become one of the most popular and highlighted shows of the year, the annual Instrumental Gems Wordless Wonders Special. You’ll hear some of the greatest hits to ever grace the airwaves, and they were all instrumental. You’ll probably recognize every song you hear throughout the four hours. It all starts at 6 pm Pacific. Don’t miss this one!

If your birthday is coming up soon, we’d like to help you celebrate in style! Send the details of your birthday to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com and I’ll wish you Happy Birthday on the show and also play Birthday by The Beatles. Now that’s celebrating.

Over at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog, I’d like to pay tribute to my DJ hero, Dave Boxer, with a real hard to find today little gem. It’s the rare instrumental Boxer’s Tomcat by the Big Sixteens spinning on the CFCF Radio 600 label. It’s our Song of the Week. Enjoy!

Next week Voice Your Choice presents two instrumental classics from Al Hirt, the big man with the great New Orleans jazz sound. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Cotton Candy or Java. I’ll play the winner on next week’s Instrumental Gems Wordless Wonders Special.

Here’s the Rock and Roll News for the week of July 27th





Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1967


http://www.tioradio.com/multimedia/top_5.ram


Have a great week and I look forward to being with you next week for the annual Instrumental Gems Wordless Wonders Special.

Bye for now.

Michael