Monday, October 06, 2014

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of October 5th, 2014

October 5th, 2014 to October 11th, 2014

I was saddened to learn of the passing of Paul Revere at age 76. He was the founder, leader and keyboardist for Paul Revere and The Raiders, the first rock and roll group to be signed to Columbia Records. It was a bit of a scramble but I was able to put together a tribute to Paul Revere by playing two of their hits at the top and bottom of the hour throughout the show. Overall, I played 15 of their great hits. In case you missed the live show, you can catch up by listening to the Archive and also read more about it at my Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

I’d like to thank Paul Carter Jr. in Ellicott City, Maryland. Since June 2010 Paul has had a very cool feature on the show, the Music Link. Every week I’d play two songs he put together to make an association between the song titles. I know the listeners very much enjoyed hearing the Music Link every week and figuring out the exact link. It was also a big hit in the Chat Room and the Nuts in the Hut would do their best to determine the link between the two songs. In a fitting finale, Paul asked me to play two songs: Thank U Very Much by The Scaffold, which included Paul McCartney’s brother Mike McCartney in the lineup, and also a rarely heard version of Michael by Steve Alaimo. The Music Link was Thank U Very Much Michael. Well Paul, thank you!

If your birthday is coming up soon, be sure to let me know so that I can celebrate your special day on the show. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com and I’ll wish you Happy Birthday and also play Birthday by The Beatles just for you.

As part of the tribute to Paul Revere, the Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing a clip of concert footage of Paul Revere and the Raiders at the CNE in Toronto from August 2012. It’s a lot of fun to hear his banter and also good to hear Indian Reservation. It’s our Song of the Week. Enjoy! R.I.P. Paul Revere

Voice Your Choice presents one of the great groups of the 1950s, The Platters. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Harbor Lights or I’m Sorry. I’ll play the winner in the 3rd hour of next week’s show.

Here’s the Rock and Roll News for the week of October 5th
  
 

Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1965


http://www.treasureislandoldies.com/assets/multimedia/top_5.ram


Well that’s it for this week.

Take care and have some fun.

Bye for now,

Michael