Monday, October 13, 2014

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of October 12th, 2014


October 12th, 2014 to October 18th, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends across Canada and around the world. I always enjoy Thanksgiving, the second Monday in October for the celebration in Canada. And it’s nice to be able to come up with some songs that appropriate to the event like Andrew Gold’s Thank You For Being A Friend, I Thank You by Sam & Dave, of course there’s Let’s Turkey Trot by Little Eva, and many others I was glad to play on the show. And thank you as well for you nice comments on Facebook and via email. I always enjoy hearing from you, whether it’s just to say hi or to request a song. I enjoyed hearing from listener Andy Desilets  who sent a slideshow of some really classic photos of my home town, Montreal. Boy seeing them brought be back to being a little boy again. Thanks, Andy.

Be sure to mark your calendar for the 18th Annual Halloween Spooktacular coming up Live October 26 and then all week leading up to Halloween on the Archive at the Listen page.So hard to believe it will be 18 years I’ve been bringing the Halloween Spooktacular to you. The years have flown by. Here's a preview of this year's Spooktacular. 


Is your birthday coming up soon? If so, let me know the details by writing to me at birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I’ll be pleased to wish you Happy Birthday on the show and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

For this week’s Compare The Hits feature, I played God Only Knows by The Beach Boys and a brand new version recorded by the BBC with multi artists and instrumentalists under the name of The Impossible Orchestra. Some of the names you’ll recognize on the recording session include Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders, Beach Boy Brian Wilson himself, Kylie Minogue, Chris Martin of Coldplay, Brian May, guitarist extraordinaire from Queen, and a host of others. Normally I don’t play a brand new recording at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog, but this is a unique recording and wonderful video. So over at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog, I’m playing God Only Knows by The Impossible Orchestra. It’s our Song of the Week. Enjoy!

Voice Your Choice next week features The Playmates, and yes they had more hits than just Beep Beep. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either What is Love or Wait For Me. I’ll play the winner in the 3rd hour of next week’s show.

Here’s the Rock and Roll News for the week of October 12th


Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1961


http://www.treasureislandoldies.com/assets/multimedia/top_5.ram


This past week I had the pleasure of attending the semi-annual RPM Lunch, a gathering every six months of broadcast professionals, some retired and others still on the air. Red Robinson and I started this event about 15 years ago and it has continued to this day. The latest get together had a record 85 folks in attendance! My friend and great photographer to the stars, Dee Lippingwell, took a lot of photos and I’m pleased to show you one of them; it’s Red Robinson from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and myself.



Well that’s about it for this week. Take care and enjoy the Archive of this week’s Thanksgiving Special.

See you next week on The Island.

Bye for now.

Michael