Monday, June 06, 2016

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of June 5th, 2016

June 5th to June 11th, 2016

I thought that I had everything taken care of for this week's playlist, including requests and the regular features. Then out of the blue on Sunday, my friend Al Mair tells me on Facebook that Canadian music pioneer and major teen star, Bobby Curtola had passed away. I said I didn't hear anything about it on any media. Al said they didn't know yet and that the family was going to be issuing a media release later in the day. I then did a post on my own Facebook page informing listeners that Bobby had passed. It was at least two hours before the media started getting the word out. I appreciated the opportunity to inform the Treasure Island Oldies listeners of this sad news before anyone else. And the response has been overwhelming with people posting comments and sharing the link to the news. I immediately went back to the playlist and "shuffled the deck" so that I could include a tribute to Bobby Curtola during the live show and play a slew of his many hits. If you missed hearing the live show, I invite you to listen to the Archive at the Listen page. Bobby Curtola was a true music pioneer in Canada. He will be missed. R.I.P. 

I need to remind you about the new Listener Line. It requires an extension after you call the number 641-715-3900. When the line answers, you must enter 716181# in order to hear the outgoing message followed by tone to record your voicemail message. It's a bit of an inconvenience having to do it this way, but it is the first (and seemingly only) voicemail service we could quickly find after the last provider pulled the plug on all their clients.

My Generation Posters and More have a great Father's Day 20% Off Sale on now and running until Father's Day, June 19th.  Please check out their website for more information. And be sure to sign up for their weekly newsletter. You'll be among the first to know about the upcoming weekly specials. And be sure to also let them know you heard their commercial on Treasure Island Oldies.

Quite a few listeners are celebrating their birthday this week. Happy Birthday wishes go out to Paul Carter, Jr. in Ellicott City, Maryland, Nancy Turnbull in Niagara Falls, Ontario, and to Michael Gee in Berkeley, California. If your birthday is coming up soon, please be sure to let me know so that I can celebrate your special day on the show. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I’ll wish you Happy Birthday during the show and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

Remember our Father's Day Special is coming up very soon, Sunday, June 19th. Please join me for the Live show on Father's Day as we honour our dads with non-stop songs just for the occasion. Hope you'll listen from 6 to 10 PM Pacific. 

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing the Number One song on this week's Top 5 Countdown from 1967. It's Lady Soul, Aretha Franklin with Respect. It's our Number One Song of the Week. Enjoy! 

Voice Your Choice presents The Young Rascals. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either A Girl Like You or I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore. I’ll play the winner on next week’s show. 

Here’s this week’s Rock and Roll News Podcast

Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1967

Take care. See you next week on The Island.

Bye for now.
Michael