Monday, June 13, 2016

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of June 12th, 2016

June 12th to June 18th, 2016

This year has been a difficult one for many music fans with so many of our recording artists passing. I was saddened to learn of the passing of Tim Ryan from the Canadian group Jackson Hawke. While not a household name outside Canada, in the mid-'70s they were signed to CBS and released on the Columbia label where they scored several hits on the radio. As I mentioned in my facebook post about Tim's passing, I was a big fan of his voice and when they became available after their time on with CBS, I tried to sign them to A&M Records. Unfortunately it did not happen but I have remained a big fan. Tim Ryan passed away June 2nd at age 67 following complications from heart surgery. I was pleased to play three of their songs on this week's show and I am also posting to the Treasure Island Oldies Blog one of my favourite records they cut. It was a great version of Van Morrison's Into The Mystic, and it's a solo live acoustic  performance of the song from December 8, 2007. R.I.P. Tim Ryan. 

My Generation Posters and More have a fun contest running this week. If you heard a Chuck Berry song on this week's show, go to their website and send an email with the song title. If you are correct, you will be entered to win aq great Chuck Berry poster! You have until this coming Saturday, June 18th to enter. Good luck and my thanks to My Generation Posters! While at the website, be sure to sign up for their weekly newsletter. You'll be among the first to know about the upcoming weekly specials. And be sure to also let them know you heard their commercial on Treasure Island Oldies. 

If your birthday is coming up soon, please be sure to let me know so that I can celebrate your special day on the show. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I’ll wish you Happy Birthday during the show and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you. 
 
Remember our Father's Day Special is coming up next week, Sunday, June 19th. Please join me for the Live show on Father's Day as we honour our dads with non-stop songs just for the occasion. Hope you'll listen from 6 to 10 PM Pacific.

The Treasure Island Oldies Blog is playing the Number One song on this week's Top 5 Countdown from 1970. It's a live performance by Paul McCartney of The Beatles The Long And Winding Road. It's our Number One Song of the Week. Enjoy! 

Voice Your Choice presents The Righteous Brothers, Bil Medley and Bobby Hatfield. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Ebb Tide or Rock And Roll Heaven. I’ll play the winner on next week’s show. 

Here’s this week’s Rock and Roll News Podcast

Listen to the Top 5 Countdown from 1970

Take care. See you next week on The Island for our Father's Day Special. 

Bye for now.
Michael