Monday, April 17, 2017

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies Week of April 16th, 2017

Week of April 16th, 2017 to April 22nd, 2017

As you noticed in the yellow box on our home page, the new chat room is installed, tested and approved. Again many thanks to Pat at dishnuts for graciously providing the chat server. The Chat Room is now accessible in two ways. Log on via our web-based chat or if you prefer, use mIRC. Just Click the Chat button and make your choice. We would warmly welcome you to drop by on a Sunday night to say hi to the listeners from all over who connect together with the music and conversation. I'd also like to thank Tom and Darryl of WTND-LP in Macomb, Illinois. They coordinated everything to do with the chat room with dishnuts, in conjunction with Rick Canode in Madison, Wisconsin, and together we're in business! Many, many thanks.

The cool thing about doing a live show is on most occasions I can accommodate a request as it arrives on the Island. As an example, this week I played Peter Rabbit by Dee Jay and The Runaways, as suggested by Rick, and then followed it up with another Wascally Wabbit song, White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. In addition, Darryl mentioned how much he liked Chris DeBurgh and said what a nice guy is was when I knew him as an A&M Records artist when I ran the A&R Department for A&M. Darryl then said his favourite by Chris was Don't Pay The Ferryman. With the help of Guylaine in Quebec City, I played that song for Darryl just after the beginning of the 2nd hour. I also get requests that come in via email. If you'd like me to play a specific song, please let me know. Send an email to requests@treasureislandoldies.com

We're just a few weeks away from our next special, a milestone for the show and for Internet radio. It the 20th Anniversary of Treasure Island Oldies and we'll have a big party to celebrate Sunday, May 7th. We began back in 1997 of May 4th and have never looked back. I hope you can join me for the party and if you care to, send an email to me and I'll read your greeting on the air. 

Do you have a birthday coming up? I'd like to help celebrate your special day by wishing you Happy Birthday on the air and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you. Send the details to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com

The Top Five Countdown on this week's show is from 1967. And the Number One song is a great father-daughter duet. It's Frank and Nancy Sinatra with Somethin' Stupid. It's playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog. Enjoy!

Oh I love this group! Next week on Treasure Island Oldies, Voice Your Choice presents one of the great R&B vocal groups, The Dells. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either There Is or Oh What A Night. I'll play the winning song on next week's show.

Here's this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

Have a great week.

Bye for now.
Michael