Monday, June 26, 2017

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of June 25th, 2017

Week of June 25th, 2017 to July 1st, 2017

What a fun Summer Beach Party we had this year on the Island! It was high tide with lots of splashing waves, and a ton of seagulls flying overhead. Good thing everyone was wearing seagull repellent. LOL I must say, I sure love those summertime hits. And as there are so many and I was unable to fit every summer song into the four hour show, I will definitely be playing more great summer songs throughout the season. I must also take a moment to acknowledge and thank my partner and webmaster, Eddy Fisher for the amazing Summer Beach Party billboard he created and posted on the site last week! And you sure can't miss the very cool billboard for next week's Music of Canada special. Eddy, this is fantastic! Thank very much. I must say that I am not the only one who appreciates his efforts. Many listeners have been complimenting Eddy on the most recent work he's been doing for the show!

Next week on the show the Music Of Canada will be very special for me. All throughout my career, I've been championing Canadian songwriters and recording artists. Whether it was as Music Director for various radio stations in the 70s, to the incredibly talented artists I discovered and signed to A&M Records, like Bryan Adams, Paul Janz, The Payolas, The Arrows, CANO, Malcolm Tomlinson, David Bradstreet, and so many others, it has been a thrill for me to recognize and help develop talent and to have it so well received by music fans, the retail sector and the media. So it is very fitting that with Canada Day approaching July 1st and the 150th Anniversary of Canadian Confederation, I am pleased and honoured to present the Music of Canada on next week's show. Like the billboard that Eddy Fisher created above, I'll be waving the Canadian flag in proud support of the contributions these artists have made regionally, nationally and internationally. As an aside, I was very honoured to be invited by talent manager extraordinaire, Bruce Allen, to produce a video greeting for Bryan Adams who was being presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award in Toronto June 19th. It was wonderful to reminisce with a couple of great memories of Bryan's early days before his career exploded.

Happy Birthday wishes go out to Linda Guy in LaHabra, California, and to my nephew Tony Gize in Airdrie, Alberta. Both Linda and Tony are frequent visitors to the Chat Room. Is your birthday coming up soon? I'd like to know, so that I can help celebrate your special day by wishing you Happy Birthday on the show and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you. Send the info to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com 

Last week I made a typo when I was writing about the Top Five countdown, which was from 1955. By mistake, my finger keyed in 1966. Sheesh! LOL However, don't be confused. This week's Top Five Countdown really IS from 1966! And landing in at the Number One song is Paperback Writer by The Beatles. And it's playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog.  Enjoy!

For next week's Music of Canada Special on Treasure Island Oldies, Voice Your Choice spotlights Montreal's Andy Kim with two of his early hits. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Fire, Baby I'm On Fire or Shoot 'Em Up Baby. I'll play the winning song on next week's show.

Here's this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

Thanks again for listening to the show. See you next week for the Music of Canada Special. O Canada!

Bye for now.
Michael