Monday, August 28, 2017

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of August 27, 2017

Week of August 27th, 2017 to September 2nd, 2017
  
I'd like to start this week's Island Update by congratulating Darryl Roberts in Macomb, Illinois, the winner of the

Blue Suede Shoes contest. Darryl correctly identified the 8 Elvis songs I plays on the August 13th show: Blue Suede Shoes, All Shook Up, I Gotta Know, Are You Lonesome Tonight, It's Now Or Never, Teddy Bear, Don't Be Cruel, and Hound Dog. Darryl is the winner of the soon to be released book Blue Suede Shoes The Culture of Elvis, written by Thom Gilbert. I'd like to thank all who entered the contest. My thanks as well to the publisher, Glitterati Incorporated for making this contest possible.

Be sure to join me on the show next week for the annual End Of Summer Back To School Labour Day Special. I'll play some great summer songs for the end of Summer, some fun school themed tunes and a bunch of work songs. That's all next week on Treasure Island Oldies.

Happy Birthday wishes go out to John Duggan in Ottawa, Ontario, and to Connie Kitten Howe in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.If your birthday is coming up soon, I'd like to know so that I can help celebrate your special day by wishing you Happy Birthday on the show and also by playing Birthday by The Beatles for you. Send the info to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com 

This week's Top Five Countdown is from 1958. And the Number One song is Little Star by The Elegants. It's playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Blog. Enjoy!

Next week on Treasure Island Oldies, Voice Your Choice spotlights The Honey Cone. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either Stick Up or While You're Out Looking For Sugar. I'll play the winning song on next week's show.

Here's this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

Finally, before I finish off, I'd like to send my very best wishes to my very good friend Red Robinson. He did his final show, Red Rock Diner, on 650 CISL this past Sunday. After over 60 years on the air, this was his final show and also it was the final day for 650 CISL. The station has been sold and will turn into an all sports station by the new owners. I must say that Red ended his show in such a classy way. He said he asked his wife Carole what last song he should play and she suggested one that summed up his entire radio career. He played The Time Of My Life by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes from the movie Dirty Dancing. Way to go Red!

Thanks again for listening to the show. See you next week for the End Of Summer Back To School Labour Day Special.

Bye for now.
Michael