Monday, March 19, 2018

This Week on Treasure Island Oldies - Week of March 18th, 2018

March 18th to 24th, 2018
 
I must say that I sure had a great time playing all those One Hit Wonders on this week's show. It even surprises me with just how many great records were made and became very popular by artists who only made one appearance on the Top 100 charts. The response I received by email, my Facebook page, and from the Nuts in the Hut, the Treasure Island Oldies Chat Room, were just great to read. Thank very much. I share your enthusiasm for hearing such great One Hit Wonders as the show opener, Nothing But A Heartache by The Flirtations, Double Barrell by Jamaica's Dave and Ansell Collins, Ronnie Love's Chills And Fever, Donnie by The Bermudas, which was a request from Toni Howerton in Middletown, Ohio, and so many more. I was glad to pay tribute to a very good friend of Paul Evans (Seven Little Girls Sitting In The Back Seat, Happy Go Lucky Me, and others), Jimmy Wisner had passed away. Jimmy was a very successful songwriter arranger and record producer. Apart from Paul Evans, Jimmy worked with a broad range of recording artists from, Judy Collins, Spanky and Our Gang to Carly Simon and Barbra Streisand. He also was a recording artists under the name of Kokomo. His Asia Minor became a big hit when he released it on his own Felstead Records label, after having been turned down by almost every other record company. All in all, I thoroughly had a great time with you on this week's show.

The next special The Name Game, is next month, airing live Sunday, April 15th starting at 6 pm Pacific time, and at various times throughout the week on the Broadcast Partners Network affiliate stations. Every song I play will have someone's name in the song title, like Diana, Don't Mess Around With Jim, Ode To Billie Joe, Barbara Ann, and so many more. Be sure to include the date in your calendar. My thanks and appreciation to my webmaster Eddy Fisher, for yet another great promo billboard for the special now on the website!

I'd like to wish Happy Birthday to my good friend and weekly contributor to the show with the Rick's Rare Rock and Roll Relic, Rick Canode in Madison, Wisconsin, or as Rick calls it, Mad Town. LOL All the best to you, Rick! Is your birthday approaching? If so, please me know by sending the date to birthdays@treasureislandoldies.com. I'll wish you Happy Birthday on the show and also play Birthday by The Beatles for you.

The Top Five Countdown this week is from 1969, this week's Spotlight Year. The Number One song is by Tommy Roe, who beat Creedence Clearwater Revival's smash Proud Mary, which stalled at number two. Dizzy is playing at the Treasure Island Oldies Treasure Island Oldies Blog.

Next week on Treasure Island Oldies, Voice Your Choice presents The Rolling Stones, the "Bad Boys" of the British Music Invasion. Cast your vote at the Voice Your Choice page for either (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction or As Tears Go By. I'll play the winning song on next week's show.

Here's this week's Rock and Roll News Podcast.

Take care and I look forward to your company once again next week.

Bye for now.
Michael